(Other days of the week also included..)

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yabu: The House of Katsu


January 6, 2012 - Yabu: The House of Katsu - SM Megamall, Atrium Level 2

Finally we found the urge to get out of Kapitolyo for our Fridate! Good thing some friends of ours suggested we go try out YABU, a Japanese restaurant that specializes in Katsu. Katsu is a deep fried breaded piece of meat like chicken, pork or beef and dipped in a Japanese barbecue sauce. If the restaurant says they specialize on one type of dish then it's got to be good right?

A full restaurant seems to be a good sign that they have delicious food. We had to wait a bit to get seated but we didn't mind.

This sign outside looks so good!

In each table there's this condiment tray with salt, soy sesame dressing, roasted sesame dressing, katsu sauce and also chili powder (behind the bottles). I'll tell you later what the salad dressing is for.

There was this instructional guide on how to make your Katsu sauce by grinding the sesame seeds and adding the sauce.

This smells so good by the way.

The food hasn't even arrived yet I started licking the chopsticks because of the sauce. Yum! If you're familiar with the BULLDOG Japanese sauce, it's the same one. You can buy it in most supermarkets.

My food arrived! I ordered the TONKATSU SET (120g) with Japanese Rice, Miso soup, Japanese Pickles and UNLIMITED CABBAGE and fruit. Now you know what the dressing is for. By just looking at it, I know already that for P320, it's worth it! When I tried it, I knew already that It will be my new favorite Katsu! The pork was so soft and the outside was cripsy. Melts in your mouth goodness.

There's this thin layer of fat that is perfect! That's what makes it juicy.

LJ's food looks exactly like mine but it's actually the Premium Tonkatsu Set. We wanted to try if there would be a big difference on the taste and quality of meat. The meat used here is called KUROBUTA, the pork version of the premium and expensive Kobe Beef. This is P515 for 120g. You could really taste the difference between my order and this one. This is juicer and more tender than the one I ordered but both were EXCELLENT!

After the meal I was so full. I didn't even get to finish my miso soup!

This was really such a great Fridate for us so we came back a few weeks after this. We even saw a family friend Paolo and Penny Yambao who treated us to dinner at Yabu. Thank you Paolo and Penny! :)

Everyone try YABU! It's a must!!

'Til the next Fridate! Cheers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...