(Other days of the week also included..)

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Asian Home Cooked Fridate!

July 22, 2011 - Broccoli Stir Fry with Shitake Mushrooms and Beef Teriyaki

Thinking of something to cook is a challenge. Imagine how much harder it is to think of cooking something healthy. This week I wanted to cook something that had veggies in it. I couldn't really make an all vegetable meal since LJ has to eat some protein (men! haha).

This weekend I made, Broccoli Stir Fry with Shitake Mushrooms. It's quite easy since you practically just dump all the ingredients in the pot and let the veggies cook! :)

I decided to put red bell peppers and carrots together with the broccoli and mushrooms. This adds color and also texture to the dish. You can even add chinese pechay, sayote, cabbage, and other mushrooms like oyster mushrooms and button mushrooms.

It doesn't really matter what veggies you put, just as long as you have these three main ingredients and some oyster sauce and seasoning. Mince your garlic, ginger and onions well and saute in olive oil to make the wonderful flavors come out.

Shitake mushrooms are my favorite! It's sweet and juicy when cooked. It also has the chewy soft texture. These are the dried ones that are sold in the supermarket. You have to let this sit in a bowl of hot water for 5 mintues to make it plump again. After, you can slice these or add them whole to your pot of veggies.

Procedure:

1. Saute Garlic, Onions and Ginger until brown.
2. Add Vegetables.
3. Add Mushrooms and half of water used to soften the mushrooms.
4. Add Salt, Pepper, Chili and Oyster Sauce .
5. Stir and Cover for 5 minutes. (or depending how cooked you want your veggies are. I want my vegetables to be cooked throughout so that it's easier to chew. Others might like it still crunchy)
6. Eat!

To compliment the vegetables, I bought pre marinated Beef Teriyaki Strips from SM Supermarket. This is what it looked like:

It makes it easier for me because the meat has already been marinated BUT I have to say that this does NOT taste like beef teriyaki. Also, the cuts of the meat aren't thin.

I fried it in the pan with little oil and it started to look like TOCINO! What? hahaha. I was getting quite disappointed while cooking it.

I waited a while for the meat to get burned. It honestly tasted like tocino but a better one. haha OH SM SUPERMARKET, FAIL. Good thing the rice was Japanese Rice and was really good with the meat.

Our simple Asian meal! I thought it would be a failure since the teriyaki didn't really taste like teriyaki but it all came together very well anyway in the end.

Hope you get to try this at home too! But I suggest you buy your meat from somewhere else and marinate it at home. I'll be doing that next time for sure. I'll post it here when I do! :)

Cheers everyone! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...